The CHE authorizes licenses for non-public postsecondary institutions operating and soliciting in South Carolina. The CHE licenses degree- and non-degree-granting institutions, licensure is required for both sites and programs. The CHE is the sole authority for licensing non-public educational institutions established in South Carolina, and for those established elsewhere which want to operate in or confer degrees in this state.
- Law and Regulations
- Nonpublic Postsecondary Institution License Act, SC Code Sections 59-58-10 through 59-58-140 (PDF)
- CHE Regulations 62-1 through 62-28 Governing Nonpublic Institutions (PDF)
- Clarification of Operating or Soliciting Definition (PDF)
- Explanation of Exemption for Institutions Whose Sole Purpose is Religious or Theological Training (PDF)
- Exemption of SC Independent Institutions (PDF)
- Fines and Fees Report – Proviso 117.74 Fiscal Year 2018-19 (PDF)
- Licensing Procedures
- Licensing - Frequently Asked Questions
- Directory of CHE Licensed Non-Public Postsecondary Institutions
- Directory of Licensed Non-Degree (Occupational Training) Institutions as of 9/1/2022 (PDF)
- Directory of Institutions Licensed to Recruit SC Residents (PDF)
- Postsecondary Institutions No Longer Operating In SC (PDF) (CHE does not retain information on or records for Pre-K - High Schools.)
- Directory of Massage Therapy Programs (PDF)
- State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) for distance courses and programs
SARA sets comparable standards for interstate offerings of postsecondary distance courses and programs. Member states recognize each other’s participating institutions as eligible to enroll students in distance education programs. The CHE handles South Carolina’s participation in SARA. Click here for information and instructions.
Request Application for New Licenses: To request an application for licensure please contact a member of the licensing staff at (803) 737-2260 or e-mail your request to email@example.com. Please provide the following information:
- Your name
- School name and location
- E-mail address (preferable) OR address to which the packet should be mailed
- Whether your school is a degree-granting or non-degree-granting institution
- The curriculum titles
- A telephone number where you can be reached.